Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Next Book I'm Going To Read

Report cards are done, the house has been decorated, Christmas cards have been ordered, some shopping is done, it's close to Winter Vacation from school so I am ready for a good book to enjoy. I was wanting something different from what I usually read. I think I've found it!

This YouTube video has been emailed me to five times today so I finally watched it. It's an essay by an author; one I've never heard of - Kely Corrigan. I watched the video and cried, thinking of my girlfriends, then saw that she has a book. I looked it up on Amazon and it looks like just the kind of book I want to read right now. The video is a bit long, but very good. Below the video is a blurb of her book, The Middle Place. If you decide to read it, let me know what you think. I am loving talking about books lately!






Newspaper columnist Corrigan was a happily married mother of two young daughters when she discovered a cancerous lump in her breast. She was still undergoing treatment when she learned that her beloved father, who'd already survived prostate cancer, now had bladder cancer. Corrigan's story could have been unbearably depressing had she not made it clear from the start that she came from sturdy stock. Growing up, she loved hearing her father boom out his morning HELLO WORLD dialogue with the universe, so his kids would feel like the world wasn't just a safe place but was even rooting for you. As Corrigan reports on her cancer treatment—the chemo, the surgery, the radiation—she weaves in the story of how it felt growing up in a big, suburban Philadelphia family with her larger-than-life father and her steady-loving mother and brothers. She tells how she met her husband, how she gave birth to her daughters. All these stories lead up to where she is now, in that middle place, being someone's child, but also having children of her own. Those learning to accept their own adulthood might find strength—and humor—(I just love that part!) in Corrigan's feisty memoir.



I am intrigued by this author. Visit her website here. Can't wait to read this.


3 comments:

Rachel said...

The video made me cry...and I can't wait to hear how you find her book! :)

AmberJ said...

Wow, that was inspiring. I just may have to pick that one up...

The Dunham's said...

Andrea, wow that was inspiring. I hope I can read this.. I have a friend dying of ovarian cancer with 3 young kids, and I forwarded this to her. I love your blog and you always insprire me. I'm so very lucky to have you as my cousin! Lots of love to you all this Christmas! Love Kim