To be honest, it felt pretty good knowing I'm not the only one who struggles and thank goodness these moms, these friends of mine, don't have to put on a false face that all is perfect and that motherhood is easy and wonderful all the time. In fact being a mom is down right hard sometimes! I am thankful I know moms of all stages and ages and that they lend a listening ear and that they too have struggled...and survived. I am most thankful for those moms that are dear to me and do not judge. Before we had kids we all said we wouldn't do certain things once we had kids or our kids certainly would never act a certain way, say certain things. But now that we are on the other side, we know some things our children do are simply out of our control.
So today, I was browsing through some blogs that I enjoy reading and I came across this book.

Here is an excerpt of Lift with short video of author reading to her girls. I hope you can take a quick moment to view it.
It's by author, Kelly Corrigan, who wrote The Middle Place. I liked the book, actually liked it a lot. I like memoirs and hers is funny, sad and makes you wish you had someone like her dad in your life. Corrigan is also an essay writer and I enjoy listening to her read her essays. I posted this one a while back. Transcending Essay.
I am drawn to this new book because I'm a sucker for books by everyday women, especially when they write something about their kids or being a mom. From Corrigan's excerpt she's not a perfect mom, which I find refreshing. Just because we aren't perfect, doesn't mean we aren't trying our best and it doesn't mean we're not good moms. To all the moms I know, as a good friend once said to me, "You're doing a good job!!" You are! Being a mom is the hardest, most special, most exhausting, most wonderful thing in the world! I know it's the best, hardest thing I've ever done. It's the most rewarding, yet my heart breaks over and over. I do cherish the bond I have with other moms. They've been through it or will go through it. They help make the process a bit easier.
3 comments:
Ooooh! Looks like a really interesting book! Soo glad we're on in this motherhood journey together! :)
It's hard to describe what being a mom feels like...until you are one. I am so glad that you - my daughter, are such an amazing mom and even though you don't always realize it...YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB! I'm thankful you have a wonderful husband to lean on, but sometimes kids...well, they just want their mom.
And the only reason we feel like we are going through this "time" is because we care! and the people you will hear express their exasperation, are people who CARE about raising kind, considerate, smart, thoughtful & well-behaved children. Real people wanting to do the BEST we can because we know better, and when you know better, you do better. Its TOUGH and thank GOD we have our hubbies & friends to go, "OH MY WORD! I wanted to scream... but you know I didnt cuz I didnt want her to see me sweat!" :) (Little Love & Logic there!) but OH MY WORD inside!!!! :)
Wanting to have children we enjoy hanging out with, and who other people enjoy hanging out with, takes soooooooo much time & effort & its tiring especially when they start stretching their wings & giving lip to see where those lines are exactly. I am always appreciative that we get to grow WITH them, right? And learn together, and not look too far ahead, just dealing with today.
Good luck my friend, may the downhill part of the roller coaster have your arms in the air smiling & waving with joy :) (dont we go through the ups & downs like a roller coaster??!?! about every other couple of months???? :)).
"This too shall pass." XO
Post a Comment