Sunday, May 17, 2009

Book Review - The Art of Racing in the Rain


This book was recommended by my friend Sarah, then my friend Carmen and they both said it was a must read, especially for a dog lover.

I enjoyed it from the first page. It's told from the perspective of a dog named Enzo. Enzo explains the story of his master, Denny, all that Denny has taught Enzo and the life struggles Denny goes through...all from Enzo's point of view. I found it amusing and laughed out loud in parts. Often when I stopped reading I would look at our dog, Toby to consider if Toby was capable of thinking the way Enzo did. How much do dogs understand, anyway?

The book is predictable in parts and a tad slow through part of the beginning because Enzo's master is a race car driver and Enzo speaks of all he has learned about race car driving. Sometimes this lost me, but I really loved that the story took place in Seattle so the mention of familiar cities and sites was fun to follow.

If you read it (and I HIGHLY recommend you do) it is so worth it at the end. About half way through I could not stop reading, even neglecting to make dinner on time a few nights, foregoing baths for the kids one night and skipping my nightly blog reading (gasp!) to get to the end. This weekend was beautiful and sunny and perfect for sitting in the sun to read. I finished tonight in our driveway as the kids played in the pool and Aaron played with his new pressure washer. I cried at the end; closed the book and closed my eyes and cried enough to grab Easton's towel and dry my eyes. My mom was here and she and Aaron just laughed. I had just been laughing out loud, then gasping and finally crying. It was a really good read.

Like all good books I read I will think of the characters for days and I will surely be thinking of Enzo the dog. Maybe I'll give Toby a few more treats than usual, give him extra love just like when I watched Marlie and Me and talk to Toby a little bit more because surely he understands some of what I am saying.

Click here to read an excerpt of The Art of Racing in the Rain.

2 comments:

The Millers said...

THE BEST book I've read in a while. Don't you think this would make a perfect Father's Day gift?

"A Small Gift, but Well-Timed" said...

Oooh, I can't wait to read it. It's been on my list for awhile. I'll put it at the top of my pile next to my bed. The book I'm reading right now is a little boring and I may have to just give it up!