Thursday, January 22, 2009

To Blog to Facebook?

Recently I have had fun and thought-provoking conversations with friends and family about Facebook and about blogging (read this great post by my cousin). I'll admit it; I have been caught up in the Facebook addiction and have not felt the desire to blog. I finally updated the blog with a few tidbits of information and got several emails back from friends and family saying they missed the updates and keep on blogging! So this got me thinking...

Why did I start a blog in the first place?
Do I want to continue to blog?
Who reads my blog?
Why do I read other people's blogs?

The answer to all of the above is to stay connected to those most near (and not so near in location) and DEAR to me! With extended family that lives out of the area and close friends that I do not get to see on a regular basis, our family blog has allowed them to stay connected to our family. I started blogging almost 4 years ago when my friend, Amber, sent me her blog and told me how easy it was and how it would be a great way to update friends and family. She was right and I have loved it. Likewise, I really enjoy reading other people's blogs if they choose to put their thoughts out there. It's fun to read about their kids and see what their families are up to.

Then I got to thinking about Facebook...

Why did I sign up for Facebook?
Why do I check Facebook?
What do I post on Facebook?

The answer to those questions is not as cut and dry for me. I have enjoyed reconnecting with high school and college friends through Facebook, even if it's just a sentence or two. I can quickly catch up on where they are in life, see a few pictures of the kids I didn't know they had and see who else they are friends with. I enjoy the humorous and witty things some people put on Facebook. It is interesting what people write for their status...

So, will I continue to blog? Yes. I want our family and close friends to stay connected to our family. I love the journaling aspect of blogging and I love the options of making blog books as a record for our family. It's a way of reaching out and even a little bit like therapy!

Will I continue to log on to Facebook? Yes, but I will not be as detailed about my life and my kids. That will be reserved for my blog and for those who are really interested in our family. Will I be a little upset if my husband, a new convert to Facebook, acquires more "friends" than me? Yes, to be honest!

Now, go write on my Facebook wall, send me more "friends" so I can stay ahead of Aaron, but keep reading and commenting on my blog!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea I love it, I have to admit I have missed your updates as well. I have learned alot from you and love reading any chance I get. Miss you guys The Robbins Family

AmberJ said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! Please don't leave! I, too, am a FB addict, but love my blog.

(The cupcakes are cute!)

The Dunham's said...

You were my blogger inspriation. You can't stop. Plus I love being connected to the family... So I guess your gonna have to keep bloggin. I too am liking this facebook but I'm committed to my blog, even if it's only once a month or so.. :)
Kim