Tuesday, September 02, 2008

1st Day of 1st Grade

Today was Ellie's 1st day of 1st grade, a day I have anticipated for a long time because I teach 1st grade! Here is a banner I made for her door. Aaron and I wrote encouraging notes on library cards tucked in the library pocket. As I made this and wrote out her note, I will admit I got a little teary. I have told parents for many years that 1st graders can do so many things independently and that they are such big kids! But now that is my little girl. I can hardly believe it. I cannot wait to see the grade I teach through Ellie's eyes.





Ellie's 1st grade class is right next door to my 1st grade class. Our two classes do some activities together each day so I am so excited to have a small part in Ellie's learning day. Her teacher is my longest Camas friend, Mrs. Little. When I first moved to Camas I met Andrea in the work room at our school during the summer. Her son was an incoming kindergartener clinging to her leg and her daughter was an incoming 3rd grader with long braids holding her hand and acting so shy. Now her son is a freshman and her daughter a senior! Andrea and I moved to Prune Hill together when it opened and have taught side-by-side for a long time. She knew me before kids, supported me as a new mom trying to figure out how to work at the same time. She listened and encouraged me with lots of new mommy issues. She was one of the first people to even know I was pregnant! She is my scrapbooking soulmate and dear friend. I am so thrilled that she is Ellie's teacher. We have talked about this very year for 6 years coming! I know Ellie is going to have a fabulous year.



Here is Ellie in her classroom eating snack, standing by her cubby and with Mrs. Little.

5 comments:

AmberJ said...

How fun! And I love her little dress.

(Since when do you get snacks in 1st grade? I only remember starving until I got home!!!)

Tami said...

Awwwww!! That is so sweet! I am tearing up remembering my little munchkin's in your 1st grade class!!! They were as lucky to have you as Ellie is to have Mrs. Little!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Ellie has gotten so big, I can't believe she is in 1st grade already. Time sure goes by fast. It is nice that you get to spend some of her day with her!! Congrats Ellie.

rk said...

Hey There,

Roxanne Pearson here. Beth's childhood friend.

I was just getting updated on Beth's blog and clicked to yours... am wondering, where/how did you get your blog background?

Thanks,
Roxanne

DavisFam3 said...

First Grade!! They grow up so fast! How fun for you to have her next door to you! I want to peek in at Tori's classroom - but I don't think they'll let me put a 'nanny cam' in so I can watch from work!! Teri