Friday, March 04, 2011

Day 4 Tuesday - Sick Day, SeaWorld II

Monday night Easton slept very fitfully. I must have gotten up half a dozen times to check on him and discovered he had a fever. Even though I gave him Tylenol, the fever persisted. He woke in the morning looking very flushed, with sick eyes and a high fever. Both Aaron and I were so, so sad. What a bummer to be sick on vacation!! I called the doctor at home and spoke with the nurse. She told me a virus was going around that presented as a fever for a few days, then a cough. Her suggestion was Tylenol to help him sleep, then cough syrup to get him through the day. She suggested doing what we needed to do to get through vacation, but with rest he should be fine.

Aaron and I made the decision that Ellie and I would go on to SeaWorld that day as planned, while Aaron stayed back with Easton. We were both thankful we had changed plans on Sunday so that Easton did have a chance to experience SeaWorld afterall. Easton was a little bummed there weren't more rides at SeaWorld they day before and he quickly went through each animal exhibit. Ellie is a total animal lover so we made the most of the situation. Aaron and Easton dropped Ellie and I off near the entrance of SeaWorld. I was really sad to do this without the guys. I felt like a little kid with my backpack on, walking away from the car.

Through the day, Ellie kept saying she wished Easton could do this or that, that he would have loved to see a special exhibit or that he would have loved this. I text pictures to Aaron to keep him posted on what the girls were doing. Ellie enjoyed seeing the animals at her pace and we got to see a few things twice that she really enjoyed. Aaron and Easton went on a quick sight seeing drive, then Easton took a three hour nap.

A highlight for both Ellie and I was the penguin exhibit. Ellie studied penguins in first grade and because I teach first grade, it used to a big unit that I taught for several weeks. It truly was a spectaclar exhibit. I could have stayed for a long time! We also enjoyed taking a skyride on a gondola, seeing the sea turtles, bat rays, a pet show (Ellie is a dog lover!) and an additional orca whale show. We purchased souvenirs, including a few things for Easton.
SeaWorld With Ellie
 Later in the day, the boys came back to pick us up. I was pretty exhausted from lack of sleep the night before, so I stayed with Easton while Aaron and Ellie went out to explore the San Diego beach. As Easton and I rested together he pepped up a bit; it's hard to keep him down! He is a busy guy and I could tell he wanted to push through his sickness. I was proud of him that he didn't once complain about what he missed.

Sick in San Diego
 We made an early night of it Tuesday, praying and hoping Easton would wake up fever free for the last surprise of our trip; 3 days at Disneyland. Before bed, Aaron and I talked through a couple different scenarios and agreed to take things easy, rent a stroller and invest in Tylenol and we headed to Anaheim.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm sorry your plans were interrupted...but so proud of how Easton and ya'll just leaned into it and made the most of the situation!

Mom/Melanie said...

His poor little eyes...you can see how sick he was. What a trooper though! How sweet of Ellie to think about her brother while you two were out.