Not too long ago Ellie asked to get her ears pierced. Aaron shot me the look that silently said, "It's your call." My first reaction was, why not? I find myself putting date stamps on everything. You can't do this until you're 10 years old, you can't do this until you're in middle school. So the earring thing seemed a simple YES. I knew it would make her feel older; it's such a big girl thing to do; a right of passage. The only problem was that Ellie asked during spring soccer so we told her she had a few months to show us how responsible she was and that she was ready for the commitment of taking care of pierced ears.
To our delight, she spent about 2 months showing us lots of responsibility. It helped curb back talking, practicing piano, cleaning her room, picking up toys, finishing homework and even getting along with her brother. We loved it!
As Ellie's birthday rolled around Aaron and I decided we would take her on her actual birthday and surprise her. She had a minor responsibility set back a few days before and knew she would not be expecting it. When I explained we needed to make a quick stop by the mall before Ellie's birthday dinner (her birthday dining choice this year was the fine establishment Taco Bell) my plan almost backfired. Easton dreads the mall and whined the whole drive. Ellie kept telling us how hungry she was. We compromised by telling them we could visit the pet store when I was done with my "errand" to appease them.
We walked straight to Claire's and Ellie asked if we could just go in and look around real quick. I answered with, "Do you want to get your ears pierced today?" She was so excited you would have thought I was telling her we were getting a puppy! She told me that on the way to the mall she was wishing in her heart that we might do the ear piercing today, but she didn't want to keep asking and bugging us. Oh my goodness!
A little girl about 3 years old was getting her ears pierced as we walked in. I was thinking to myself this scenario could go one of two ways; the little girl could be very brave and ease Ellie's nervousness or the little could freak out and scare Ellie to death. Thankfully that little 3 year old did not even flinch! I couldn't believe it.
Ellie was next. She picked her birthstone. She listened to the nice lady tell her all the things she needed to do to keep from getting an infection. The nice lady put purple dots on her ears to mark the spots for the holes, then I made the mistake of mentioning how nervous I was that the earrings would be crooked as my ear holes are crooked so I don't wear earrings. Between Aaron and I the poor nice lady corrected the purple dots 3 or 4 times to make sure they were nice and straight and even, all the while Ellie clung to the teddy bear the store provides to ease nervousness but I'm sure all our talk gave her more and more butterflies.
Here are some pictures and video. Overall, she was very brave and will proudly show off her earrings! She can't wait for six weeks to pass so she can pick out new, fun earrings to wear!
Getting ready and hugging the Claire Bear
Mom signing the paperwork
Almost ready. Mom keeping a brave face.
The right ear!
And now the left!
All done!
Celebrating at Taco Bell (her choice, truly!)
Ellie just had to show her BFF!
3 comments:
So BRAVE....and beautiful! Love the dinner choice. I bet Sadie would be "The Target Restaurant". Ha!
Congratulations Ellie!! Claire & Kate watched your videos and couldn't help but notice how brave and grown up you are!!! :)
Grammy's regret - not checking to see if Andrea's purple dots were even when I got her ears pierced. (Sorry honey!) So proud of you Ellie - you are truly brave!!
Post a Comment