Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ellie's Baptism



Coming home from my birthday dinner in March, Ellie asked Aaron and I, "When do I get to do that thing in the water?" At first I thought she was referring to swimming lessons, but after a few questions we realized she was talking about getting baptised.

When Ellie was just 3 years old we were driving down the road (to Craft Warehouse) and out of no where, as most 3 year olds bring up conversations that are totally random, she announced that she was going to heaven because she just asked Jesus into her heart! I was so excited for Ellie, but at 3 years old I wondered if she would remember, let alone understand what she just said.

Fast forward to this year. Ellie's question in the car sparked a great conversation between Ellie, Aaron and I on the night of my birthday. She told us she wanted to ask Jesus into her heart again and I thought it was the best birthday present I could ever get! We explained what it meant to be baptised and she said she was ready. At church I asked our children's ministry person what we needed to do for Ellie to be baptised. At first we were told the next baptism ceremony was months away, but then a few weeks later found out there would be a ceremony June 12th, only 4 days before Ellie's birthday! In the meantime, we went to a class for kids where baptism was explained and the kids were asked questions about baptism and having a relationship with Jesus. I was proud of Ellie's answers and even a bit surprised by how much she knew and understood. After the class, Ellie had to write out her testimony. Here is a short excerpt of what she wrote.

I first asked Jesus into my heart when I was 3. I did it again on my mom's birthday. I was praying to God on my bed. I want to be baptised because I want people to know I asked Jesus in my heart.

Ellie's baptism was emotional for both Aaron and I. I was able to sit with her and walk her up to the stage while Aaron sat in the congregation with Easton and our extended family; including our new baby cousin, auntie, grandparents and even two great grandparents! Our friend, Mark, one of the pastors at our church was able to perform her baptism. Aaron and I gave Ellie an engraved charm necklace with Ellie's name and the date of her baptism. Although I was certainly emotional during the baptism, I was really emotional on the drive home reliving the moment with Aaron. I am so proud Ellie to make this decision so young!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Super cool!!!! The girls loved the pics and story! Welcome to the family, Ellie! :)

Mara said...

I loved reading this...such a great thing to witness your kids getting baptized...I would have been so emotional too!

Mom/Melanie said...

It was such a beautiful sight to witness - makes a heart want to burst!!