I am playing indoor soccer, shin guards and all. Have I ever played soccer? No. Why start now, you ask? I am playing with a group of ladies from my school and what could be better than a team full of teachers? I agreed to join for a combination of wanting to join in on the experience with some great ladies and the serious need for some exercise. Serious need.
I am actually having a lot of fun despite feeling completely out of shape, wishing I was faster and acquiring some sort of injury at most practices and at every game. However, I love the ladies that are playing and it has been a great way to get to know them outside of school. Didn't know some of them were so aggressive!
I also see how much my body needs exercise. I do not crave it like some people, but I really do wish I did. Maybe this is a stepping stone to having the desire to exercise on a regular basis? I won't join a gym for several reasons; time, money, absence from family, what to do with the kids, but this soccer team was something I could commit to. The accountability piece in so important to me for exercise and the fact that it is for a team is a lot more enjoyable, at least for me!
Tonight was our third game and I definitely see improvement on our team. Did I mention most of us have never played soccer before? Our first game was quite funny, I'm sure, from any observer as we played a much more experienced team. Thankfully word had not gotten out too much that our school had a team and we did not have many people come to watch. Tonight we had a small crowd (no pressure) of a few parents, a few fellow teachers, husbands and children. We are improving, but the injuries are increasing. I am nervous for school tomorrow to see all the limping, bruises, maybe even a black eye...Mandy???
Aaron was able to come for the first time tonight and I even managed to score my first goal! I was school-girl excited that my husband actually got to witness it, being the sports fan he is. My kids were there too and I could hear them cheering "Mommy". It's kind of cool to be the one the family is cheering for.
4 comments:
Beth has shared with me your soccer team... are the kids driving the moms and packing the coolers? :0) He, he.
Keep up the great work and have a fun time!
R
Yay for soccer, and no black eye! It has been a lot of fun. We are awesome. :)
You go girl!! You keep running...those aches and pains will go away in no time! Great job!
Oh, my gosh! I joined a team my last year at Fox and had a BLAST!!! I didn't realize just how competitive I was......! I know what you mean about it being exhilirating but hard on the body ~ I absolutely loved it. I also got into way better shape because of all the running!!! lol Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment