Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Month of Thanks

I already said it, but in an effort to slow down and really focus the meaning behind each holiday I am taking the time in November to center around Giving Thanks.
Don't get me wrong, I love holiday celebrations (especially Christmas). It must be the teacher in me that loves to theme things in my life. However, the marketing shove kills me. In September when I went to Costco to look for Halloween costumes they didn't have costumes yet, but they did have Christmas decorations! I am all for starting shopping early, in fact shopping early brings back fond memories of my stepmom Leora. She usually had her Christmas shopping done and wrapped by Halloween - I'm not joking! She wanted our gift ideas in July. Now that's a fun, cherished memory.
I think my kids are now at an age that we can talk about being thankful and they can really understand; at least a little! I can't wait to see what November brings! I'd love to hear what you are doing or trying in your family to talk about giving thanks.
My friend Sarah posted this nugget on her blog and I know she won't mind if I share.
20 Little Attitudes of Gratitude

1. Mind your manners. Say please, thank you and excuse me.
2. Smile when you see your family. Turn your frown upside down.
3. Pick up after yourself.
4. Notice when others do kind things for you, show gratitude by action or words.
5. Say I love you before going to bed.
6. Give hugs daily.
7. Don’t worry about tomorrow. Focus on what you are happy about today.
8. Create gratitude journals to keep track of daily blessings.
9. Show thankfulness for even the little things others do for you.
10. Leave love notes in unexpected places like lunch boxes and under pillows.
11. Encourage someone with a compliment.
12. Verbalize what you are grateful for when you feel like complaining about life.
13. Keep a basket of small slips of paper on the table. Write notes of thankfulness during the week and read them to each other during a family meal.
14. Remember to thank God for blessings each day.
15. Surprise your family (or friends) with little gifts or treats to show you thought of them.
16. No grumbling about minor annoyances around the house.
17. Do special things to cherish time with your family. You never know what tomorrow will bring.
18. Reflect on happy memories regularly. Make inspiration boards of special times.
19. Help someone out without them having to ask you. Watch for someone in need.
20. When you are doing household chores, be grateful you have a home to clean.
I think some of these would be really great to print off and try with the kids. Some would be more fitting for Aaron and I to remember. I have been plagued by some horrible headaches lately which have caused me to be a bit grumpy and edgy. A lot of this is more for me to be a better role model for my family. As Aaron says, "If momma ain't happy, then nobody happy!"

No comments: