I did find this little nugget not too long ago and I *love* it! It's called Muffin Tin Meals. It's just a regular mom that took the bento idea one step further. Basically, she serves her children a meal in a muffin tin, sometimes on a Monday, cleverly calling it Muffin Tin Monday. She started posting on her blog and invites others to join her, usually with a theme. Check out the Halloween Themed tins here.
I like the idea for several reasons. The small muffin sized portions allow you to serve small amounts to encourage trying a new food, using up some leftovers, or using up that not-so-favorite snack they won't choose to eat.
I gave it a try, not yet on a Monday- just served a snack to my kids in a muffin tin. You would have thought I gave them kitty! A side benefit was that serving one muffin tin to two kids really did encourage them to share and take turns. They were so excited that they were kind to one another and laughed the whole time!
I served a Saturday breakfast in a muffin tin to try to break free of the cold cereal holding pattern we are in. I also served a Sunday snack between lunch and dinner in a muffin tin and it was almost like a mini meal to hold the kids until dinner. I even made a lunch in a muffin tin and prepped it all for dad while I was gone one day and it was all ready to go. It's been kind of fun. I am not doing this every day or even every other day so it will stay a novelty and gives the element of surprise!
Here is a picture from one of the mom's tins. This theme was rainbow:
You can be simple or elaborate; creative or practical, themed or not themed, mini tins or regular sized. Try it; your kids will call you "Fun Mom".
P.S. The original "Muffin Tin Momma" moved so she handed the reins to another mommy. Here is the current blog to read about current challenges. She's got some other fun ideas on there, too.
*disclaimer - I didn't go as far as restraining myself to Monday or sending in my picture, but you go with your muffin-tin self and go for it! Let me know what you try!
4 comments:
I have named you one of my Honest Blogs! Check out my blog to read more :O)
Please do not feel like you have to do this.....Just wanted you to know that I enjoy your blog :O)
xoxo,
Michele
LOVE this!!! Gonna try in the morning!
What a cute idea!! Now I need to go buy some new muffin tins!!
WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA!!!!!! I am soooo going to try this - thanks for the schooling momma!! (can you tell i am catching up on my blog reading?!)
LOVED the tooth fairy, just LOVED IT! I am already working on next years ideas... Thing 1 & Thing 2 for Ryan & me?! :) I wish one of the girls would go as Dr. Suess, but they seem to get caught up in the Disney marketing campaign against creativity :) :) AHAHAHAHAH!!!
love you - take care & have a great week! Talk soon!
Post a Comment