Saturday, November 03, 2007

A New Milestone


Ellie came home from her friend, Claire's house and announced to us that she wanted her training wheels off so she could ride her bike like Claire; two wheels only. (See Sara's blog for the inspiration http://themillerspage.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html)

So, Aaron obliged and had the pep talk with Ellie about not getting frustrated and it may take some time to ride on two wheels. I didn't even run in to get the camera so she wouldn't feel extra pressure. Ellie's bike is getting small and we have debated when to get her a bigger bike. I'm glad we waited. After a bit of practice and a great lesson from dad, she did it! Then I ran in and got the camera and video camera! We were so proud. I was a little apprehensive when Aaron let go so quickly.

Watching Aaron encourage Ellie and teaching her made me fall in love with him in a whole new way. Seeing your husband as a terrific dad does that! I loved watching him run along beside her.
Ellie would get nervous and slow down and Aaron just kept helping her gently, but firmly and not making big deal if she stumbled. He just quickly helped her jump back on. We were cheering her on and trying to give her some confidence and Aaron bent down to tell her, "You did that all on your own! I wasn't even holding on. Let's keep trying."

They got all set to give it another try and she replied with, "Daddy will you hold on to me and not let go for a long time?" My heart melted. I see a scrapbook page coming on with that comment! She rode all afternoon by herself mastering turning around and practicing getting started. Great job Aaron and Ellie! Thanks Claire and Molly (maybe it was the pink Crocs? Sara-was Molly wearing her pink Crocs?)

Here is a video of Ellie's terrific bike riding. Click on the play button twice!

No comments: